Tails 1.2 doesn't see my persistent volume
hubert depesz lubaczewski
2014-10-22 19:46:59 UTC
Hi,
I'm using tails, booted from iso using VirtualBox. I also have usb pendrive
which had old version of tails, and its persistent volume.

Whenever I booted tails (previous version) in virtualbox, with the pendrive
inserted into usb slot - it recognized it, offered mounting - everything
worked.

Now - it looks that after upgrade of tails to 1.2 (though upgrade is not
really upgrade - i just boot from different iso) - it stoped working.

sudo dmesg shows that pendrive was found, partitions are seen, but i have
nowhere to put the password to mount it, and it doesn't ask for password
when starting tails.

What can I do about it, and how?

depesz
Burlacu Tiberiu
2014-10-23 09:40:09 UTC
Hello,

I`ll try and explain as good as I can the process of "freezing". So, if I
stick the usb when running another OS(Ubntu 14.04LTS) everything is fine.
The computer shows me that the stick has the TAILS OS installed on it. Now,
when I try and shut down the computer, stick the usb in it, and reopen it,
the computer freezes at the hp sign.(that is the moment when I can press
esc and go to the bios settings and other suchlike options- but ofcourse I
am not able to do that since everything just stays still- or do nothing and
the purple screen appears when I can choose between Ubuntu and Windows).
Regarding the instalation of Tails on the USB media, I used the intructions
that were here:
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/installation/manual/linux/index.en.html
I will try these days to run the stick on other computers and to install
Tails on a DVD and I will let you know.
Thank you for your time

Best regards