GeekCrypt: A Secure Fork of TrueCrypt
Bill Cox
2014-06-03 15:07:08 UTC
TrueCrypt can't be allowed to die, but it will take real geeks to keep it
running. Towards that goal, I'm starting GeekCrypt:

http://GeekCrypt.net

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Bill Cox
tim smy
2014-06-03 19:26:30 UTC
It seems that the source code is now available here has it alays been
available?
https://github.com/FreeApophis/TrueCrypt
tim
The TrueCrypt source has always been available, though the license has gone
through several revisions, usually becoming closer to a real FOSS license
each time. The 3.0 license allows for forking the code, with just enough
murkiness that distros like Debian wont touch it.

The github link above has been available for 5 days. It was created almost
right after the TrueCrypt site went down. A couple of us have already
compiled TrueCrypt for Linux from this repo, and I have a pending pull
request that covers what the other guy and I ran into - mostly upper/lower
case issues. My fork has some fixes to get it to compile with wxgtk3.0.
My version compiles and runs on Arch Linux, but with some assertion dialog
warnings popping up now and then, which I still need to fix. I also need
to recompile this for Visual Studio, which shouldn't be hard. I did it
last year when people were trying to figure out if the Windows binary
matched the source (which it does).

Feel free to fork either the github link above or my own at
https://github.com/waywardgeek/TrueCrypt. Unlike upstream, my code
compiles :-)

Another very interesting source is from the Fedora
realcrypt-7.1a-2.fc20.src.rpm package. I could swear I went to
realcrypt.org just two days ago and the site was live. Now it's gone:
http://feejai.github.io/RealCrypt

The author, who I believe is "Feejai", had 7 github repositories I thought
last week, including realcrypt, and now he's down to 6, and there's no
realcrypt to be seen! The Wayback machine has nothing for his old site,
and it says truecrypt.org has been "excluded"!
http://web.archive.org/web/http://truecrypt.org. Also, truecrypt.com and
truecrypt.net are missing. This is all a bit freaky. I guess I shouldn't
be surprised that crypto geeks aren't lining up to work on a TrueCrypt fork.

I verified the files in the realcrypt source package. I think that package
is a nice starting point that shows how to scrub TrueCrypt images and
such. I'll likely use that as a template for making a releasable TrueCrypt
fork soon, but I'm hoping to do that in cooperation with a few big geeks,
preferably in multiple countries.

Bill
intrigeri
2014-06-04 01:11:23 UTC
Hi,

may the discussion about technical details behind the various past,
present and future TrueCrypt forks be moved to a more appropriate
forum, please? I'm glad it happens somewhere, but I fail to see how
specific to Tails it is, let alone to Tails user support.

Thanks in advance, and good luck in these endeavours!

Cheers,
--
intrigeri
intrigeri
2014-06-03 18:08:47 UTC
Hi,
Post by Bill Cox
TrueCrypt can't be allowed to die, but it will take real geeks to keep it
http://GeekCrypt.net
Let me know what you think.
Relaying to tails-dev-***@public.gmane.org, which is much better suited for such
an announce than a user support mailing-list.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri
mercedes508
2014-06-04 15:45:36 UTC
Hi,
Post by Bill Cox
TrueCrypt can't be allowed to die, but it will take real geeks to
http://GeekCrypt.net
Let me know what you think.
Thanks for the leeting us know about that project.

We're pretty much busy right now, but if possible, keep us updated.

Cheers.