Tails and old MacBookPro
Julien T
2014-10-05 22:35:32 UTC
Hello,

I try to boot Tails 1.1 and 1.1.2 on a MacBookPro5,1 (2009)

Boot goes well with some warning
Could not open "\EFI\BOOT\fallback.efi": 14

but it continues

sometimes slowing on "random: nonblocking pool is initialized" and on usb
detection with a lot of error -110

In some case, I had "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control
turned off" while I already had removed "live-media=removable" (sandisk
cruzer switch)

else it follows:
"fb: conflicting fb hw usage nouveaufb vs simple - removing generic driver"
and fan running at maximum

Tried the following boot options
* In failsafe mode, it blocks on
"i8042: No controller found
* nouveau.modeset=0
"fb: conflicting fb hw usage nouveaufb vs simple - removing generic driver"
???
* video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788
same

* nouveau.noaccel=1 blacklist=vga16fb

boot OK but X11 is completely messed up/unusable

* nouveau.noaccel=1

same

* nomodeset

Working!

Sof i other people met this, go for nomodeset :)

Only tradeoff, fans are working like hell

Also, color seems strange (have orange background, blue on some webpage)
and external display is not working (xrandr shows no 2nd display)

Others thread

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/24403/fedora-18-on-macbook-pro-mid-2009/

https://github.com/SevenBits/Mac-Linux-USB-Loader/issues/21

Cheers